Monday, October 26, 2009

Trail Running

Today I did something I have not done in almost 17 years! Gosh has it been that long? It was 1992 when I last went trail running something I sort of fell into as I was leading people on hikes as part of our school’s Outdoor Activities Club. Whenever, I got lost I would ask the group to stay and I would run ahead to make sure we were on the right track. So basically it running in the jungle via a trail or path made by previous hikers.

It is a really good work out because you need to be very alert and aware of your surroundings and terrain to make sure you are putting your feet onto stable ground. Most of all, it is extremely empowering and exciting! Make you feel in so much control and in a way makes me feel one with my surroundings and the trail itself.

I found a really great trail last Friday. It is actually the Kent Ridge Mountain Bike Trail, which I attempted with my bike. I found the trail really tough going with a bike. I spent most of the time off the bike pushing it up steep inclines and down steep and slippery paths. I thought to myself whoever can ride this without getting off their bikes must be a crazed expert. Even pushing the bike, the workout was intense and I was drenched with sweat. Then it dawned, perhaps I should ignore, the “Mountain Bike only” signs and run it.

So today I did it, and that empowered feeling came back as the adrenaline took over. I surprised myself with the speed I was getting during some stretches considering my large “curvy” frame. So here’s the route and some pictures thanks to MotionX-GPS Sport. Its not a long route under 3 KM but the terrain is tough and makes for a good 40 minute workout!

image

image image  image

M with the trees.

0 comments: