Friday, May 15, 2009

TED: Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity

For people who have not heard of TED, here is an infomercial by Majimoblogs.com; “TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from those three worlds. Since then its scope has become ever broader.”

To me TED as the tagline says, are “Idea worth spreading”. Its basically a collection of presentations by some noted individuals in their fields taking about ideas, concepts, discoveries and to me this is just plain entertaining and mind opening.

Today as I was watching, I came across a presentation done by Sir Ken Robinson. He was talking about how schools and conventional education can kill creativity. He being a creative expert who is challenging the way schools are educating our kids, is I think really worth a listen, trust me its quite entertaining. Moreover he is not the only sucessful person who have said this.

What hit me though, was in the last part of his talk, he gave an example of how children, get misunderstood and get an illness like ADHD or ADD “conferred” on them following which they are categorized and boxed. I really hate this practice and I completely reject it! I believe if I was born today, I would be one of these kids who would get categorized, boxed and classified as “different”. My life might be quite different from the way it is today and I can say this for quite a few of my friends as well. Anyways, do have a listen:

M Exploring

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!