Thursday, November 06, 2008

Negativity Ignorance

Ok, I'm sure my throng of fans is sick of my India subjective posts; this is will be last for this period. The first time I went to India, my mother told me about the poverty there and told me that India despite being such a beautiful place can be rather heart wrenching when observing the poverty especially the plight of children. So she told me, to ignore it, as there is nothing we can do about it. When in India; ignore the negativities and focus of the positives that is usually the advice they give to travelers.

And just like any trip, the poverty was evident; nothing unusual from my previous sojourns. But there was a particular scene that I think will not leave my mind. In my car being driven in aircon and on the sidewalk I was saw a young mother with her two kids, a boy probably aged 2 and a girl aged 4. They were sitting on the concrete sidewalk. The boy was not wearing any clothes yet they all sat on the pavement in the hot sun and mum was talking to another mum with one kid.

What got me was the 4 year old girl, dressed in a filthy dress and as she sat there she was nodding off could be from the exhaustion or just could be from the fact that no 4 year old should be where she is. What would normally be a comical and a cute sight of a kid nodding off, was heart breaking to me. I simply could not bring my camera out of my bag to photograph this site even though I had the time to do so.

So regarding what my mum said; is there really nothing we can do. Or is this just a way to be ignorant of the situation. Not sure why this picture suited.

M wondering.

0 comments: