Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cantonese Dramas

OK I sure I have got your attention. What is this Indian guy talking about this subject.

Well past few weeks I have been "exiled" to the room because the ladies in the house are watching Cantonese dramas. I am cool with the exile because I get to indulge in the my comfort food in the comfort of my bed.

But there is something about this language and the mannerisms of the people in the dramas that is rather perplexing. The language in it of itself is a rather rude and annoying sounding language. I mean no offence but it is to the untranslated ear. Sounds like they are fighting.

Then there is the mannerisms; they hardly ever look at each other when they are speaking. There always this air of superiority, when one person is talking to the "air above" and the other person is standing behind the other person reacting and listening. If I was that person behind, I would probably turn the person around and say "Here, I am here not up there!". But that's me. Perhaps it is meant for dramatic effect or perhaps it's just bad acting.

I have watched Korean dramas and though some of the theatrics are there but, it is more subtle and natural. I guess they are better actors, and of course the language is more easy on the ear. Oh well actually watching a full Korean drama, Jumong, was an achievement in itself, watershed event more like it.

So who knows maybe I might one day someday actually watch a Cantonese drama. Oh wait! I did; it was this show with an Inpsector Tim, can't remember that name of the show but it was CSI Cantonese style, and boy was it corny. I was laughing more than anything else much to the wife's irritation, what to expect when there are no subtitles.

M open.

0 comments: