Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mykii

So this year I decided to give me team a year end luncheon to show my appreciation for their hard work. It was totally spontaneous as I only decided to do this on Monday but since two of my guys were on MC I decided to do it on Tuesday. But come Tuesday these two were still on MC so I had to go forward as Wednesday is a half day and I doubt if I could have made it since I had plans. Rather than letting a normal democracy, I decided on the place to go eat. Somewhere nearby, Holland Village and a new joint just open less than a month back called Mykii.

This Greek inspired place, apparently is supposed to transport you to the isle of Mykonos, with its white washed walls and the atypical Greek blue fittings. I was more attracted to this point than anything else, and the Hungrygowhere.com review was good enough, so this was the place reserved. As we arrived the place was nicely tucked in the corner where there is very little human traffic. Overall the outlook was nice and it did somewhat able to deliver on the “transportation to Mykonos” feel.



Starter drinks, this was for me the highlight. If you ever make the trip to this place get yourselves one of the specialty grantias. I got myself the Lemonie Crush and it was really refreshing. It did not last long and was soon gulped down before my mains arrived. The overall service was slow, I account this due to newness of the place and their staffing is not fully ramped up. So it was forgivable. We waited for the mains to be served and we devoured them quietly as we were starving.



Food wise, I must say I was a little disappointed to say the least. The food was pretty average and quite different from the pictures in the menu. My staff who are usually not food critics were the ones who pointed these things out as one of them said “aiya kenna cheated lah” when the actual dish arrived. The food was well presented I give it that much, as pictures do speak for themselves. Star dish was their Pissaladiere, which is their signature dish. The appetizer is an open-faced provencale tart perfectly dressed with a healthy wholesome selection of roasted capsicums, anchovies, olives and onion jam. Although I was not able to get a full bit of this because it was quite quickly polished off and I was left with the scraps, the scraps and the mixture of flavours really impressed me.



My main was the much recommended Seafood Linguine with Laksa Pesto, which is basically a fried linguine, with some seafood and laksa paste served in a stone bowl. Not very impressed lah, think the wife can do a much much better Seafood Pasta! However on another one of our appetizers, we found a rather long hair seared to the grilled chicken. I normally close one eye, when there is hair, but if it hair is gross, which in this case it was; I decided to let the waiter know. They soon apologised and replace the dish.





The online reviews raved about this place's desserts. They looked good and tasted good. However, another surprise find in the Granny Smith & Aloe Vera Crumble really sunk this place to a rather low standard. A remnant of steel wool was found and the bottom of the glass. After letting the staff know, we were given a 10% discount on the overall bill. I did not bother to kick a fuss, because I know this place is new. When paying the bill the manager apologised, and said that their desserts are done offsite and delivered to them so they will feedback to their supplier.

This kinda left me with a singular thought: Food was not too great, with the exception of the Pissaladiere. Hygiene well a long curly hair and some steel wool, ahem. Drinks are good but nothing to be overly excited about. Desserts are good but they are done offsite by a dessert supplier. So what does this place have to offer other than the Star Dish and the ability to give the “transportation to Mykonos” feel?



My thoughts came back to the name Mykii it sort reminded me of the hokkien phrase “Mai Khi” which mean “Don’t Go”.

Enuff said M

0 comments: