Monday, March 16, 2009

Karakoram Highway

Picture taken by pmorgan

My first stop on my imaginary journey is the highest paved international road in the world. It has always been a place that I have wanted to go, not an absolute need but just an awesome place to just sit and go "WOW!" I mean just look at it!


The Karakoram Highway connects Kashgar, China and Rawapindi, Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range, through the Khunjerab Pass, at an altitude of 4,693 m/15,397 ft. Interestingly it is also referred to as National Highway 35 or N35. Due to its high elevation and the difficult conditions in which it was constructed, it is also referred to as the "Ninth Wonder of the World."



My attraction to this place was mainly due to the fact that this is a rather unheard of part of the Silk Route thus the sense of adventure was there. But the desire was cemented when I came upon the Lonely Planet guide for this place while browsing at some bookshop. Looking at the pictures I was struck with utter amazement of the magical scenery, and said to myself "Ok I got to see this with my own eyes!"

So where to next.....

M getting there

0 comments: