Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mont Saint Michel


Next stop is north coast of France at the mouth of the Couesnon River in Normandy, to where you will see this. Mont Saint Michel is a medieval Benedictine Abbey and steepled church that occupies most of the 1km-diameter clump of rocks jutting out of the waters of the English Channel.

What's place special is that it's connected to the mainland via a thin natural land bridge, which before modernization was covered at high tide, making it inaccessible, and revealed at low tide, giving this place a mystical quality. Now of course, there is an actual road to the mount.

I am not sure when my love affair with this place started. Probably, a random image I saw on a NatGeo ad which caught my attention but, it has stayed with me. I was unable to find a good non-HDR picture, to convey my awe for this place but this is a pretty good picture by Mark W Harris.

M dream voyaging

0 comments: